Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Double Infinity - May's pie slice in Sardonyx

My refernece color for this month's pie slice (from the Book of Revelation) is SARDONYX. I was so happy; I knew I had a black and white sardonyx stone in my stash, and I had yet to do a black and white piece this year. Once I started working on it, I realized May is the month of Mother's Day and my mom simply loved black and white and paisleys. In my cabechons stach I found some pretty white swirls that looked like paisleys, so I was ready to go! In the sardonyx, you'll find "the humility of the saints in spite of thier virtues". This is one of my favorite 'christian values' so it was fitting it wound up in the month I would be creating a tribute of sorts to my mom. (I inherited her bead stash when she died, and I've been beading ever since...) In the piece you will find the common elements I'm incorporating in each month: the pearl end piece, the tatted lace edging, and the locrosen. I also used some old French nailheads I had in my stash. They look really cool. With this month, I found I cut the ultrasuede backing a bit small, and it wants to curve on me. Hopefully, over time it will lay flat :) Hope you like it - can't believe we're almost half way through this year already!!!