Saturday, September 1, 2012

Double Infinity - August Pie Slice in BERYL

I wanted to get this posted yesterday, but time slipped away. So even though it is now September, this is my August piece. Using the 12 Foundation Stones of the New Jeruselm as found in the Book of Revelations, this month's inspiration is the stone BERYL. Now being familar with this stone,I had a hard time getting motivated to begin the piece. I did a search and found that BERYL is most commonly associated with the color aqua-marine. Ah- now tha's something I can relate to! Still, summer got in the way and I did not begin. Then one day, I walked into my craft room and spied a pretty blue aqua-marine-ish bead mix through one of my storage drawers. That was all I needed, and the piece worked itself up in a few days. Again you will find the pearl at the short end representing the gates into the city, and the tatting at the top (used to tie the pieces together when completed), and my vintage lochrosen in the piece. I really like the way it came together. THe stone BERYL represents 'the perfect operation of prophecy' and it is eerie how I can see that in my piece, although I do not read their stones' meaning until AFTER I bead the piece. Next month I'll include a photo of the grouping since the pie with be 3/4th done!